Aug 14, 2007

Smut dressed up as art.

So, I came across this item while I was looking around for the Phil Rizzuto stuff:
Zoo Weekly, a magazine which regularly features pictures of skimpily-dressed women, offered readers A$10,000 ($8,400) for “a boob job for your girlfriend.”

But the competition drew the ire of New South Wales state Gaming and Racing Minister Graham West, who ordered an investigation into whether the magazine had broken Lotteries laws forbidding the offer of cosmetic surgery as a prize.

So, I went around to the website and they had this little jewel posted (NSFW!):


http://view.break.com/346896 - Watch more free videos

Now, from the title of this entry, you would think I have a problem with Smut.

Surprisingly enough, that’s not at all the case, I don’t have a problem with naked pics or naked pics that are meant to arouse. I don’t have a problem with art (except I wasn’t crazy about that poop Virgin Mary thing a few years back). Everything has its place in the world, certainly there is a discussion to be made about objectification, I seem to remember having a talk along those lines with a good friend recently.

I know there are groups of people in this world who simply don’t want to acknowledge that each of us has our own hard wiring when it comes to these things but, I figure if no one is getting hurt its okay - you can play dress up, pretend or what have you as long as all parties are agreeable to the situation.

What I really hate though is cheese.

Poorly executed, poorly done, unimaginative work done behind a veneer of high-mindedness. Plopping a guy down in a strange surrounding with a sketch pad and playing classical music underneath a running monologue does not elevate something to the level of ‘art.’ The only thing the video above made me do was go WTF?! But then, you can take a look for yourself and make your own decision.

1 comment:

e viable said...

i agree with your opinion